Current Issue No : 1
D-250, Abul Fazal Enclave-I,
New Delhi - 110025
Tel : ++91-11-26946780
Fax : 26947346
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
CONSTITUTION OF THE AIMMM AS FINALIZED BY THE MMM
The All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat, originally established in 1965, is a representative forum of the Muslim community in India for consultation and deliberation on matters of common concerns.
I. OBJECT AND PURPOSE : The object and purpose of the All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat (AIMMM) are as follows:
- To protect and defend the Identity and Dignity of the Muslim community and its Constitutional and Human Rights, specially its Right to Equality, Justice and Security;
- To monitor the political, economic, social and educational status of the Muslim community regularly in the context of development at the national, state and district levels;
- To develop a consensus in the community and in the country on the problems faced by the Muslim community and on remedial measures;
- To place the problems and the remedial measures before the Government and the administration, the Parliament and the Political Parties and the Judiciary for expeditious action;
- To project the views of the AIMMM on national and international problems of concern to the Muslim community through the mass media and promote better understanding of the Muslim point of view among other sections of the people of the country;
- To promote national unity and national integration, communal amity and social harmony as well as cooperation among Muslim organizations at all levels on the basis of mutual respect and understanding;
- To promote and defend Democracy, the Secular Order and the Rule of Law.
3. If the AIMMM at any level finds that it is necessary to launch a democratic and peaceful agitation for the fulfillment of a legitimate and urgent demand, subject to such a conclusion being ratified by the next higher level of the AIMMM, the AIMMM at that level may decide to form a separate and distinct command at that level for the purpose, without making it obligatory for all its members, individuals and organizations, to participate in the agitation but the MMM concerned may continue to monitor and guide the course of the agitation, in order that it does not adopt any violent or undemocratic methods.
- The AIMMM shall not function as a Political Party and shall not participate in elections. However, it shall function as a monitor of developments, as a pressure group and as a counseling service.
- The AIMMM may however file writ petitions as well as intervene in pending cases at the Supreme Court/High Court level, if considered necessary, on matters of concern to the Muslim Community in order to present its point of view and to represent the interest of the Community before the Court.
4. ORGANISATION: The AIMMM shall be organized at four levels: national, state, district and town. The national headquarters and the central office shall be located in Delhi.
5. National Level NATIONAL LEVEL: At the national level, the AIMMM shall have the Supreme Guidance Council, the Markazi Majlis-e-Mushawarat, the Central Office Bearers and the Markazi Majlis-e-Amla (MMA)
6. SUPREME GUIDANCE COUNCIL:
7. MARKAZI MAJLIS-E-MUSHAWARAT (MMM):
- The Supreme Guidance Council shall consist of upto 15 members including the present Life Members. It shall be a self-perpetuating body and any vacancy therein shall be filled by the remaining members.
- It shall meet, at least once a year, to review the policy and approach of the Mushawarat and thus provide continuity to the AIMMM.
- It shall decide the criteria for the membership of the Mushawarat by Muslim organizations and personalities to enable the Central Office to consider the membership applications received by it for acceptance or rejection.
- It shall also function as the appellate authority on disciplinary matters and for confirming termination of the membership of any member of the MMM, organisation or individual, decided by the MMM on recommendation by the MMA or a Reyasati Majlis-e-Mushawarat.
8. CENTRAL OFFICE-BEARERS:
- The MMM shall consist of the following:
- Members of the Supreme Guidance Council.
- 2 national office bearers of member Muslim Jama'ats, namely, organizations, institutions, societies, associations and trusts of national importance, the scope and area of whose activity in any field as detailed below encompass the whole country or at least three or more such States whose total Muslim population exceeds twenty per cent of the total Muslim population of the country.
Fields of Activity: Administration, Banking Management, Commerce and Industry, Culture and Fine Arts, Diplomacy, Education, Islamic Learning, Journalism, Language and Literature, Law, Politics, Medicine and other Professions, Science and Technology, Social Welfare, Sports.
- Individuals of national eminence with knowledge and experience in any field as detailed above, in accordance with the criteria prescribed by the MMM.
- All former members of the MMM, not included in the above.
- Presidents of all State Majalis-e-Mushawarat, ex-officio.
- The MMM shall be reconstituted, every 4 years by the MMA, in consultation with the Supreme Guidance Council, at least 3 months before the term of the current MMM expires. However, eligible Jama'ats and individuals may be admitted to the MMM at any time.
- The MMM shall meet at least twice in a calendar year; the last meeting of the year or the first meeting in the following year shall be termed the Annual Meeting which shall review the current status of the Muslim community as well as adopt Programme of Action for the following/current year as well as approve the Annual Statement of Accounts for the preceding year and adopt the Budget and the Programme of Activities for the coming year.
9. MARKAZI MAJLIS-E-AMLA (MMA):
- The MMM shall elect the President from amongst its members for a term of two years corresponding to the calendar year. No person shall be eligible for a third consecutive term.
- The President shall nominate the other office-bearers, namely, four Vice-Presidents, representing different regions of the country, the Secretary General and four General Secretaries from among the members of the MMA and appoint Four Executive Secretaries, if necessary, from outside the MMM. Each General Secretary shall have a definite area of responsibility, for example, Organisational and Financial, Political, Educational, Economic and Social Affairs, Welfare and Relief. The Executive Secretaries shall assist the President, the Secretary General and the General Secretaries, as assigned by the Secretary General in consultation with the President.
10. MARKAZI STANDING COMMITTEE (MSC):
- The MMA shall consist not more than 31 members or 10% of the Members of the MMM whichever is higher, 2/3 to be elected by the MMM and 1/3 to be nominated by the President keeping in view the demographic, ideological and occupational composition of the MMM, provided no member Jama'at has more than one members, except the one to which the President himself belongs.
- The MMA shall meet at least once in every quarter.
- The MMA shall consider the report of the President and advise him on all matters relating to the work and management. The decision of the MMM taken by 2/3 majority of those present and voting shall be binding on the MMM.
- The MMA may authorize the President to acquire or dispose of, mortgage or lease immovable property on behalf of the Mushawarat as well to establish a Trust for the management of such property.
11. National Convention:
- The President and the office-bearers shall form a Standing Committee which shall function during the interregnum between the meetings of the MMM. To the meeting of the Standing Committee, all other members of the MMA or MMM who are locally resident shall be invited. The Meeting shall be open to other members also, if they are in town.
- Policy decisions taken by the Standing Committee shall be placed before the next meeting of the MMA for approval.
The AIMMM shall hold a National Convention every 4 years, in order to review the situation of the Muslim Community and the problems it faces and the progress it has made. All members of the Markazi and State Majalis-e-Mushawarat shall be eligible to participate in the Convention.
12. STATE LEVEL: REYASATI MAJALIS-E-MUSHAWARAT (RMM)
- For purposes of organization, contiguous States/UTs with small Muslim population may be grouped together or with a neighbouring State to form one State. Similarly, States with large Muslim population may be divided to form more than one States. Change in jurisdiction will be decided by the MMM.
- A RMM shall be established in any State, part of State or group of States and/or UTs, with a Muslim population of at least 1 million according to the last Census.
- The RMM shall be constituted by the MMM and notified by the President/Secretary General for a period of 4 years.
- The RMM shall consist of:
- 2 office bearers each of the State units of a national member-Jama'at.
- 1 office bearer of each of other Jama'ats functioning in the same fields working at the State level,
- Individuals of State eminence as in Section 7(1)(c).
- Presidents of the Zila Majalis-e-Mushawarat (ZMM), ex-officio.
- All Members of the MMM who reside in the State, ex-officio.
- The RMM shall meet at least thrice a year.
- The RMM shall also have a Standing Committee (RSC) on the same lines and with the same function as the MSC.
14. STATE OFFICE-BEARERS
- The RMA shall consist of a minimum of 11 members and a maximum of 1/4 of the RMM, depending upon the Muslim population of the State, as decided by the MMA, 3/4 of the members of the RMA shall be elected by the RMA and 1/4 nominated by the President from among the members of RMM.
- The RMA shall meet at least once in every 2 months.
The RMM shall elect a President for a term of 2 years and the members of the RMA from amongst its members. The State President shall nominate the State Office-bearers, namely, one or more Vice-Presidents and the Secretary General from among the members of the RMA and appoint as many Executive Secretaries as may be needed, from outside the membership of the RMM, subject to the approval of the RMM.
15. DISTRICT LEVEL: ZILA MAJLIS-E-MUSHAWARAT (ZMM)
16. ZILA OFFICE-BEARERS:
- For purpose of organization, contiguous districts with small Muslim population may be grouped together to form one district and districts with large Muslim population may be divided to form more than one organizational districts.
- A ZMM shall be constituted in a district with at least 250,000 Muslim population.
- The ZMM shall be constituted and notified by the President/Secretary General of RMA for a period of 4 years and shall consist of:
However, eligible Jama'ats and individuals may be admitted to the ZMM at any time.
- One office-bearer each of the Zila units of a national or state Jama'at which is a member of the MMM or RMM.
- 1 representative of other Jama'ats functioning in the same fields working at the Zila level.
- Individuals of Zila eminence as in Section 7(1)(c).
- Presidents of the Shahri Majalis-e-Mushawarat (SMM) in various cities, towns and Qasbas of the district, ex-officio.
- The ZMM shall meet at least once in a quarter.
17. LOCAL LEVEL: SHAHER MAJLIS-E-MUSHAWARAT (SMM)
- The ZMM shall elect a President for a period of 2 years and the members of the ZMA from amongst its members. The President shall nominate the Vice-President and Secretary General out of the ZMA, subject to the approval of the ZMM.
- The ZMA shall consist of a minimum of 5 members or 1/3 of the membership of the ZMM, depending upon the Muslim population in the district, as decided by the RMA.
- The ZMM shall meet at least once every 2 months.
- The ZMA shall also have a Standing Committee (ZSC) on the same lines and for the same function as the MMA and RMA.
18. SHAHER OFFICE-BEARERS:
- The SMM shall be established in any city or town or Qasba with a Muslim population of more than 50,000.
- The SMM shall be constituted and notified by the President/Secretary General of the ZMA. The SMM shall consist of:
However, eligible Jama'ats and individuals may be admitted to the SMM at any time.
- One office-bearer each of the local unit of a national, state or district Jama'at which is a member of the MMM, RMM or ZMM.
- One representative of other Jama'ats, functioning in the same field at the local level.
- Members of the ZMM residing in the city/town/Qasba, ex-officio.
- Individuals of local eminence as in Section 7 (1)(c).
19. POWER TO ESTABLISH SPECIAL COMMITTEES AND YOUTH FORUM
- The SMM shall elect a President for 2 years and members of the SMA from amongst its members.
- The President shall nominate the office-bearers, namely, a Vice-President and General Secretary from among the members of the SMA, subject to the approval of the SMM.
- The SMA shall consist of a minimum of 5 members and a maximum of 1/2 of the members of the SMM.
- The SMM and SMA shall meet as and when convened by the President.
- The President of Majalis-e-Mushawarat, at any level, with the approval of the Majlis-e-Amla, shall have the power to establish Special Committee consisting of a limited number of members with a specific mandate. The Committee shall submit its report to the President who shall place it before the Amla for such action as it may decide.
- The Presidents of the Majalis-e-Mushawarat at State and Zila levels may enroll promising Muslim youth as Associate Members, who may be invited to participate in the meetings and Activities of the Majalis-e-Mushawarat. The Associate Members at every level shall pay half the membership fee but will not enjoy the right to vote."
- The Fund of the Majlis shall consist of annual membership fee as well as donation.
- The schedule of annual membership fee shall be as follows:
- One third of membership fee collected at any levels during a calendar year shall be remitted to the next higher level in the first quarter of the following year. Donation collected at any level shall be retained by that level.
22. NOTICE AND QUORUM:
- The Majlis-e-Mushawarat at each level shall maintain a bank account, to be operated by the President and the Secretary General/General Secretary, incharge of Financial Affairs at that level.
- The Accounts shall be maintained by the General Secretary for Financial Affairs.
- The Accounts shall be subject to annual audit by an auditor to be appointed by the Majlis-e-Mushawarat at that level.
- The Annual Account shall be presented along with the Annual Budget jointly by the President and the Secretary General/General Secretary for Financial Affairs to the Majlis-e-Mushawarat at that level at its Annual Meeting for its approval and a copy shall be transmitted to the next higher level.
23. DISCIPLINARY ACTION
- Notice for meetings at any level may be issued by the President or the Secretary General or by the General Secretary for Organisational Affairs with the approval of the President.
- The quorum for all Majalis at all levels shall generally be 5 or 1/10 of the membership whichever is more.
- At least 10 or 1/5 of the membership, whichever is more, shall be required for requisitioning a meeting.
24. POWER TO MAKE RULES:
- A member of the Majlis-e-Mushawarat at any level may be suspended or expelled from the membership by the Majlis concerned with the approval of the Majlis-e-Amla at the next higher level.
- The quorum for considering such action shall be 1/2 of the Majlis concerned.
25. TRANSITIONAL REGULATION
- The MMM shall frame appropriate Rules, as and when required, in consonance with the letter and spirit of the Constitution.
- Rules as drafted by the Central Office, shall be placed on the agenda of a regular meeting of the MMA and then if endorsed, on the agenda of the next regular meeting of the MMM which may approve it by simple majority.
26. AMENDMENT TO THE DASTOOR:
- The existing MMM and SMM's and their Office-bearers shall continue in office till the new Constitution comes into force.
- The President shall convene a meeting of the Permanent Members after the new MMM is constituted to select additional suitable persons to form the Supreme Guidance Council.
- The MMM shall determine a time-frame for change-over, appoint a Reorganization Committee of 5 members including the President to work out the modalities, jurisdiction and criteria. The President shall establish contacts for the formation of the MMM. The Presidents/Conveners of existing RMM's shall convene meetings of their Majlis to establish similar Committees at State level.
- The President MMM shall nominate Conveners/Adhoc Presidents of the SMM's unless an elected President is in office, with the approval of the MMA. The President or Convener/Adhoc President of the SMM's shall nominate the Conveners/Adhoc Presidents of the DMM's with the approval of the President of the MMM. Similarly, the Conveners/Adhoc President of the ZMM shall nominate the Conveners/Adhoc Presidents of the SMM's with the approval of the State Conveners. In the absence of the intermediary level, the President, MMM may nominate the Convener or the Adhoc President of the MM at any level.
- All Adhoc Presidents/Conveners shall nominate the Office-bearers and the Majlis-e-Amla at their level till the constitution of the Majlis-e-Mushawarat at that level in accordance with the Constitution.
The MMM may amend the Dastoor at a meeting convened to consider the proposed amendment, with atleast 15 days clear notice, alongwith the text of the proposed amendment. The amendment shall be approved if the meeting is attended by half the members of the MMM and two-third of those present vote in its favour.
Alternatively, the MMA may decide to put the proposed amendment through a referendum. The amendment will be approved if at least half the members of the MMM participate in the referendum and two-third of the participants vote in favour.